A vehicle happens to be a complicated piece of machinery with lots of electrical and mechanical components. As a matter of fact, fire can be considered to be amongst the most typical hazards that can happen in a car given that there are lots of fictional components, complicated electric wiring, as well as flammable liquids. In case you are driving a vehicle, fire will be the last thing that you will need. On a moving automobile, fire can prove to be fatal given that it can damage the vehicle’s components significantly.
There is a possibility for any car to catch fire in the event of a collision, electrical failure, tire burst, or leakage of fuel. Although there can be any reason, fire in a moving vehicle can be quite hazardous since it will be imperative to bring the automobile to a standstill so as to bring things under control. Moreover, a fire that happens in a parked vehicle comes with its own set of challenges.
Vehicle fire safety guide
Vehicle fire safety guide happens to be amongst the most critical aspects of owning a vehicle. In the event of a fire in the car, the owner has to be quite knowledgeable so as to take preventative actions. He should likewise be able to figure out the cause of the fire as well. Below, we have mentioned some factors that can contribute to vehicle fires at present.
Factors responsible for car fires
1. Mechanical failure – An automobile is equipped with lots of mechanical components that produce heat because of friction. Any failure of such components can result in a fire in the long run.
2. Electrical failure – A vehicle also comprises complicated electrical wiring along with other electrical components including an electronic fuel injection system, lights, battery, and so on. Any malfunctioning of these electrical components can lead to fire as well.
3. Using substandard components – There can also be a possibility of fire in a vehicle in case one is using substandard components. The mechanical parts of the vehicle go through a high level of stress which might fail and result in a fire in case the quality is not that good.
4. Faulty wiring – A faulty wiring connection can result in a short circuit which might cause fire as well. Any wires which are exposed can likewise be prone to sparks which can cause fire too.
5. Oil spill – In case oil gets spilled on the engine bay, it can cause fire once the temperature of the engine increases. Consequently, it will be imperative to make certain that no oil spill occurs while changing the engine oil.
6. Loose or worn out hoses – In case hoses become loose, broken, or worn out, these can result in lots of damage given that they are responsible for carrying fluids to the engine. Any malfunctioning radiator hose, fuel hose, and so on can result in fire because of leakage of coolant or fuel.
Kia recalls 147,000 Seltos and Soul
The renowned car malfunctioning company Kia has sent out a warning to almost 150,000 owners of Kia Seltos and Kia Soul models. A recall on the 2020 and 2021 versions of the 2 vehicles has been issued by the automaker only recently. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, dealers will be starting to notify the owners on 11 June which will come in the form of mail.
As a matter of fact, the brand-new Seltos along with the trendy Soul happen to be the most recent cars which are involved in this fire risk recall. As per the documents which have been filed by the company with the NHTSA only recently, the 2020-2021 model year automobiles might feature piston rings which have been improperly heat-treated.
The automobile company is recalling more than 145,000 Soul and Seltos automobiles for the issue which might lead to a fire while driving the vehicles. As a matter of fact, cars which are equipped with the 2.0 L naturally aspirated engine will be affected the most. The supplier did not apply the proper treatment while manufacturing which resulted in the creation of harder piston oil rings in those vehicles. In turn, the ring might scuff the cylinder bore resulting in the increment of oil consumption. Owners might be confronted with a seized connecting rod bearing in the long run which is definitely not desirable.
The vehicles which are affected are going to get their engine replaced. Meanwhile, the vehicle owners are being requested to look for unusual engine noise, enhanced consumption of oil, as well as illumination of the warning lamp for oil pressure.
The piston oil ring of the car had been affected by a manufacturing issue which made some rings quite hard. This can also result in increased consumption of oil in the long run.
When it comes to the fire risk, it is possible for oil to leak onto the surrounding exhaust parts and become ignited. Vehicle owners might see the illumination of the oil pressure warning light in case this issue is experienced by their vehicles. Unusual engine noises along with enhanced consumption of oil are likewise indications of the problem. According to Kia, it is not aware of any injury or fire related to the issue and it estimates only 1% of the recalled vehicles to be affected by the problem.
As per the safety officials, in case the vehicle is operated in this condition on a regular basis, it can lead to engine damage, thereby enhancing the threat of fire in some limited cases.
However, no mishaps or deaths have been reported so far related to this issue. The recall done by Kia follows a recall of approximately 135,000 Tesla sedans in the month of February. Apart from this, Ford is likewise recalling several SUVs because of issues with the rear axle.
Kia will be covering all the components and work without any charge to the customer whatsoever. The brand is also going to install a fresh piece of software for monitoring the issue in a better way. The owners of the affected automobiles will begin to receive notifications in early June.